2017 Coaches Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:56 pm

dead_poet wrote:Vance Joseph out after 1 year in Denver.
Joseph retained. Musgrave to stay OC.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18384
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 pm

dead_poet wrote:Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
Shut up. Really?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18384
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:41 pm

I thought the Vikings were bad when they extended Childress. That is a bad move and I feel sorry for Bengals fans.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11559
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by jackal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Why is Cleveland keeping their coach ?

One win in two years ...really
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

jackal wrote:Why is Cleveland keeping their coach ?

One win in two years ...really
Because their personal sucks/sucked and firing coaches every year didn't really work to develop a vision. Instability rarely leads to success. But you have to think this is his last year if he can't win a few games. They have a ton of (high) draft picks. How can they screw it up this year? Always a fun off-season game.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11224
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by S197 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 am

dead_poet wrote:Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
:shock:

Train wreck but try to look away, I dare ya!

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/commen ... _for_2018/
0 x

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Olympia, Washington

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by John_Viveiros » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:Shut up. Really?
You have to balance the fact that he couldn't win a playoff game to save his job, with the fact that he had them playing really hard and really well at the end of the season, when they were already out of it. They knocked both the 9-7 Lions and Ravens (would have both been 10-6) out of the playoffs. I think they suffer from what the Vikes had for many years - a good team, but not one that can go far in the playoffs.

In the end, many teams retained losing coaches, so there isn't as much coaching demand, so maybe I'd have dumped him based on the fact that I wouldn't have much competition for the better coaching jobs. The Cardinals would be a good job too. For me, not any of the others. Raiders are going Gruden, Bears have severe offensive problems, Lions have Matt Stafford (I don't see that as a positive) and are just snakebit (for decades now), Colts have no talent other than their injured QB, and the Giants seem to have locker room issues. Cincy has some solid players.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18384
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 am

John_Viveiros wrote: You have to balance the fact that he couldn't win a playoff game to save his job, with the fact that he had them playing really hard and really well at the end of the season, when they were already out of it. They knocked both the 9-7 Lions and Ravens (would have both been 10-6) out of the playoffs. I think they suffer from what the Vikes had for many years - a good team, but not one that can go far in the playoffs.

In the end, many teams retained losing coaches, so there isn't as much coaching demand, so maybe I'd have dumped him based on the fact that I wouldn't have much competition for the better coaching jobs. The Cardinals would be a good job too. For me, not any of the others. Raiders are going Gruden, Bears have severe offensive problems, Lions have Matt Stafford (I don't see that as a positive) and are just snakebit (for decades now), Colts have no talent other than their injured QB, and the Giants seem to have locker room issues. Cincy has some solid players.
Hell I'd coach the Browns. For anyone to be picky on NFL head coaching jobs is silly. I get your point but I can't imagine anyone outside of a hall of fame like Parcells being picky on which job to rake.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Olympia, Washington

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by John_Viveiros » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:Hell I'd coach the Browns. For anyone to be picky on NFL head coaching jobs is silly. I get your point but I can't imagine anyone outside of a hall of fame like Parcells being picky on which job to rake.
I'm not sure I see what you are disagreeing about. To take your quote literally, of course a lot of people will be "picky on NFL coaching jobs" - specifically the GM will be very picky, and the fans are going to be picky about the selection, if the GM chooses to go with John Fox, for example.

What I came to believe, in that last paragraph, was that, had I been the Bengals GM, I would have said I was taking a week to evaluate where the team is at. At that point, I probably would have fired Marvin Lewis because I thought the Bengals job was one that had a high chance for success for an incoming coach. They have a good defense, some good running backs, AJ Green, maybe some offensive genius can fix Andy Dalton, etc. They aren't a total rebuild. If I'm a head coaching candidate, I'd rather get the Panthers job than the Browns job, right? Similarly, I thought that coaching candidates would prefer a team that would potentially require only a few cosmetic changes to get them into playoff form, like the Bengals, than one like the Giants who have some talent issues and a lot of players who might need more psychological help than coaching (Manning? Cromartie? Beckham? Apple?). So I'm the Bengals, I think I could swing Pat Shurmer to come there over the other jobs, over him going to teams that remind him of his old Browns stint.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18384
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

I meant as a candidate. What I am saying is if the Browns called me and wanted to interview me and I had no other offers, I'd be in the next flight there. I wiuldnt turn them down because of a possibility the another team would call.


Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by dead_poet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 am

Packers let go their OC, DC, QBs coach and GM. Hard not to think this was inadvertently caused by Anthony Barr. Quite the shakeup in Green Bay.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Brad H
Practice Squad
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 pm
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by Brad H » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

jackal wrote:I can’t believe they fired Del Rio ...

Nothing against Gruden but Del Rio
and management turned around a
complete mess since that super bowl
pooch screw ... firing a staff every year
with drunk Al Davis calling into call plays
in between clinking ice cubes
I had some Raiders on my fantasy team this year and watched almost every game. That team was an absolute disaster this season. I'm surprised they didn't do it five weeks earlier. The offense was ultra conservative and the defense was a total mess.
0 x
DEFENSE STARTS AT THE CORNERS

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8358
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 am

dead_poet wrote:Packers let go their OC, DC, QBs coach and GM. Hard not to think this was inadvertently caused by Anthony Barr. Quite the shakeup in Green Bay.
Very surprised they didnt fire McCarthy
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18384
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Very surprised they didnt fire McCarthy
I wouldn't rule it out stoll, unless Rodgers demands he stay. GB is a mess right now.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

Post Reply